When Paul Mukisa was born three months ago, his parents Margaret Awino and Boniface Okongo were in shock as their child was born with four legs and four arms. They sought help from Bugiri Hospital and were immediately referred to Mulago National Referral Hospital as there was no capacity at the Bugiri hospital to help
Mulago National Referral hospital was founded in 1913 and in 1962 it was expanded by constructing lower Mulago to offer better services and facilities to patients.
It serves as a National Referral for the entire country and a general hospital as well as Health Center IV, III for the Kampala metropolitan. Official bed capacity is 1790.